tf2 - hungergames

Jasmine
Veteran

tf2 - hungergames

Post by Jasmine »

So, I don't know anything about coding or anything like that.
But reading through old posts I stumbled on Mtch mentioning cs:go - hungergames.

Would it possibly work for tf2?

Having free for all on.
Random items you spawn with and then collecting things along the way (similar to murder where you pick up artifacts to eventually get a gun) so you survive on what you have. Having bigger sized maps in the rotation. And of course last man standing.

I'm not sure it would work at all but I'd love to hear some input! I think it could make a interesting game. But again, I obviously don't know if it would work in a practical matter.
Much love
Jasmine
Dubstab
Veteran

Re: tf2 - hungergames

Post by Dubstab »

I'm worried that the game will look a lot like MarioKart randomizer. Just then with less people and free for all..
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

Yeah that might be true. Except it would be arena mode and you'd have to work to get better weapons
Much love
Jasmine
Charizard

Post by Charizard »

In the original hunger games you don't spawn anything. I think you spawn with a knife in CS:GO. I don't think spawning with random items is a good idea.
--

I am interested in this game mode if it's available.
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

spawning with random items could be a one item thing, a sandwich, shield, or something "useless" and then you work your way up.
Much love
Jasmine
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

If this does end up being a mod, id honestly say have everyone play as a sniper. Start the round with nothing but melee weapon out, and possibly buff their hp to 150 so it gives people a bit more room to fight around.

What comes to the mod actually working, sadly, I don't believe it would work too well. I feel like it's not a mod that suits tf2 at all, it would most likely end up dying after a short period of insane activity due to new mod.

If Fire has the resources to spare for the server, and Mtch has the time to code it for tf2, lets go for it. There's no harm in trying.
ImageImageImage
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Interesting Idea, however the reason it works 'well' in cs:go is because the versatility of primary and secondary weapons in cs. A player can be given a sniper rifle with no problems but can also be switched out with an ak47 and have no issue either.
With TF2 we fall under the "This weapon was designed for this player model and it's animation" which looks really ugly (reason why i dislike randomizer). Also sniper class is the only class that can properly zoom in, zooming in on anyother class will crash the client, however I do have some work around (see Murderer Class "Hunter" on the Murder server)

However since Fortnite's release i think this does bring up actual valid gameplay ideas since fornite is also recognized as a cartoonish game. It would be possible to create some kind of fortnite gamemode within tf2 using some trickery to have 4 primary weapons and having a similar pickup system/loot system like fotrnite. If I were to make this possible I'd start with some of the basics before adding any type of building to see if this idea is even possible.
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

Funny enough, my old community had a hunger games server. We spent a couple months working on it, and it worked out kinda well with a decent player base, but balancing became a big problem. It was hard to please everyone with the different weapons you could find around the map, and certain classes became too strong in comparison to others. I don't know how hitreg has changed, but one big issue was how consistent a medic melee was in comparison to other classes. All this could be worked over w time, but it would probably be a pretty big commitment to make happen.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
MoneyKidKing

Post by MoneyKidKing »

While I love the idea, I'm struggling to come up with a way that would 1. work; 2. be practical to implement; 3. be balanced. As Mitch mentioned, everyone would have to be a sniper in order for snipers to work, and weapon models break when given to a class that was not intended to have it. This severely limits the amount of weapons that can be used practically in the gamemode. Hunger Games would also be intended as a longer round gamemode (15+ minute rounds) in arena mode, which would easily scare off potential new players due to having to wait so long to play. All of this occurs before taking into consideration cornucopia spawns versus out ring spawns and the balancing between the different weapons.

As for the fortnite gamemode, I would personally be cautious about that gamemode, as it would require being able to easily swap between weapons of varying types (shotgun/smg/sniper/etc), grades, and the ability to carry many that share the same ammo pool. There is also the issue of allowing people to collect resources/build structures in terms of resource usage. If you can figure out ways around those issues, I'd love to see it.
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
Charizard

Post by Charizard »

Jasmine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm spawning with random items could be a one item thing, a sandwich, shield, or something "useless" and then you work your way up.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. It being an RNG would be great.