Wobbuffet FF2 boss changes?

Dr.Magikarp,M.D.

Wobbuffet FF2 boss changes?

Post by Dr.Magikarp,M.D. »

I feel that compared to other hales, Wobbuffet is considerably weak. The only method of movement available, besides the very slight increase of speed to the heavy's slow walking, is a teleport with a 30 second cooldown, making Wobbuffet one of the least mobile hales from any of the lists, and is not good for maps with high evelation like DeGroot Keep or Market. Teleporting also makes Wobbuffet extremely vulnerable to telefragging (engie nests in enclosed spaces are the worst cuplrit of this), and is, again, the ONLY tool it has to be mobile. My suggestion is to either give Wobbuffet more mobility (make the walking speed faster, replace the teleport with a super jump, etc.), give it more health to compensate for the lack of mobility, and/or to tweak his teleport (make the cooldown take up less time, be stunned for less time/no stun after teleporting).

This is my first post around here, and I'm open to other suggestions to tweak this hale, including the Magic Coat rage. After playing many, many rounds as Wobbuffet I feel that he should be buffed at least a little bit. I really want this hale to be balanced with the other hales so that playing as Wobbuffet is less frustrating and that the red team can't cheese the hale via telefragging. :thumbup:
Last edited by Dr.Magikarp,M.D. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
many_swords
Veteran

Re: Wobbuffet FF2 boss changes?

Post by many_swords »

Last I checked Wobbuffet's win rate was over 50%. it may have changed recently but personally I think he is fine the way he is right now.

EDIT: I looked at his win loss rate today while playing and yes its around 30%. I still personally agree with sanity in that he is fairly balanced and more so just picked on maps that he shouldn't be picked on. The boss has not been changed (to my knowledge) since my last change that gave him no knock back during his rage and originally his win rate was above 70% after that change.
Last edited by many_swords on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to message me on the community discord if you have any questions.
My Sanity

Re: Wobbuffet FF2 boss changes?

Post by My Sanity »

While some maps like Market and DeGroot might be a negative for him, smaller maps like Gridwalls, poolday, Military area, and Nova are prime time for him to shine, so we have to keep all maps and types of maps in consideration when adjusting a boss.

Since the last known stats pull on this hale (a month or two ago), he has a 31% win rate (183W v 411L), so thats possible it changed since then, I don't have the most recent data right now. In addition, most people I've seen play him where not expecting it, didn't set their boss, and/or didn't know how to play him so they get absolutely destroyed by spys/etc or they give up (leading to the skewed record).

Also, since he gets uber on rage, if he does teleport then rages, engies are basically screwed. Telefragging him (and with any boss really) is much more based on skill and some luck then simply waiting for him to teleport. Because autofrags no longer work because of a recent patch, he would have to teleport to someone who just happens to be standing on an exit tele which is a lower probability with a group of engies/people crammed together. This goes for any teleporting boss really (except Gentlespy). If its the matter of him walking on top of a teleport, then thats the players fault as all hales are susceptible to that type of telefrag.

If I remember, I think he is just a hair slower then the scout (or the same speed), any faster and he becomes sonic or megaman at that point. I could see maybe having an improvement on movement abilities, if I remember right Fire was working on a point-click teleport for teleporting bosses to supplement hales (for larger maps was the real problem on this like Crevice/Dust showdown) main teleport ability.

If Fire works on and introduces the point and click teleport we spoke about when we were working on the reshuffle project, it could help him (and other teleport bosses) out more. Otherwise I don't see much we could change that might make him more under/over powered then what he is now.

Overall, I think he is fairly balanced. I think it comes down to choosing the right boss for the map/situation and knowing how the boss works. Open to suggestions/more detail.

(*Edited for spelling, grammar, and formatting changes)
Last edited by My Sanity on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Pretty fucking cool man" - Fire 2017
"Fire: Don't tell anyone" - Fire 2018
"If I find out who stole my shit, I'm gonna slap you." - Fire 2019

I go by Plausible Sanity on the servers.