Dodgeball Suggestions Thread v2.0

sevin

Re: Dodgeball Suggestions Thread v2.0

Post by sevin »

Updated to b4 to address rocket visibility issues + added an actual route to the secondary cliffs. It's now set at night. Would love to try it out again and see if it's any better.

ChillSasquatch

Post by ChillSasquatch »

It's a small suggestion, but I would like it if when someone dies chat would display a message for everyone of who killed who and at what speed the rocket was going. There have been many many times where I have seen people asking how fast the rocket was going because of the current way it is set up to display messages to only the person who died.
I have played on other servers that have had this function and it didn't seem to spam chat too much and was really nice just knowing instantly instead of having to ask.
Froot
Veteran

Post by Froot »

There is a problem on toolsheds where if a player is on one of the secondary cliffs the rockets will explode on the wall next to the spawner repeatedly whenever it targets that player. Maybe moving the spawner forward some so that it doesn't hit the walls when targetting players on the side cliffs. Or possibly make the rocket able to go through the walls near the spawner.
Xbmann

Post by Xbmann »

Hello disc gamers! I went ahead and made a remake of tfdb_box_night with improved lighting and textures. It has been tested and currently runs on nanochip's server and I believe it could belong in the rotation here as well.
gamebanana link
kookie gonna keep banning people until hes rank 1
Xbmann

Post by Xbmann »

nevermind, everyone but disc can use it
Xbmann

Post by Xbmann »

If anyone remembers dbs_neutral, I've ported it to be compatible with tfdb for nano. A lot of the other ones I fixed up aren't that great or are already live on disc (with stripper configs to make them work I've been told). If anyone is interested here's the link

kookie

Post by kookie »

I've witnessed a lot of requests for a !solo command for the server.

The command would kill you at the start of the round, and respawn you only after the rest of your team dies. This command pleases to some in situations where it's too crowded and you'd just like to be left by yourself. This prevents possible teamkillings from happening as well as annoying permanent stealing. I also can't think of anyway this could impact the server negatively, or disfavor players not using the command.

In summary, I believe that the !solo command would benefit the dodgeball server and its playerbase.

Edit: This may also help those who wish to not have to deal with teammates who steal all the rockets.

Thank you for reading my suggestion.
Last edited by kookie on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This post probably took three times as much time to make as you would expect.

kookie

Post by kookie »

This suggestion involves the vote speed plugin for dodgeball, vrs.

Quick explanation of said command:
Spoiler
Player in the server can type !vrs to initiate a vote. This vote will decide the rocket's speed for the duration of the map. The speed can only be increased, from a choice of 125%, 150%, 175% or 200% of the normal rocket speed. Around 2/3 of the server have to type the command !vrs for the vote to be initiated. In 99.9% of the cases, once the vote is initiated, the entire server votes 200%, doubling the starting rocket speed.
The command itself isn't bad, but the way it's presented has its problems.
For one, the speeds between Normal and 200% are completely ignored. There have been close to 0 occasions where players decided that Normal was too slow but 200% was too fast, so they opted for 125%, 150% or 175%. They serve no purpose as such in a vote where the fastest speed is always available and is going to be picked. (200%).
Spoiler
Secondly, there's absolutely no need then for the message box vote, after the initial !vrs votes. Since everyone who votes !vrs knows they want the speed to 200%, there's no point in asking what speed the players want. It also distracts players currently focusing on playing. Someone who does not want to increase the speed simply abstains from typing !vrs (No one is going to type !vrs to then just vote normal). Because a majority of the server (66%~) want vrs, once the vote is initiated, it is guaranteed for it to pass.

These two issues bring up the problem where there's at least a part of the server unhappy with the current speed at times. Those who think the rocket is too sluggish and slow, where rounds are too long and therefore time being dead is too, and those who hate the idea of rocket speed demon, where it's too hard to hit and not fun to deal with.

In my opinion, changes should be made as to encourage or force compromise between the two parties, and making use of 125%, 150% and 175%, without really removing 200% rocket speed.

A solution then, that I propose, would be the following.
Spoiler
  • Remove /vrs and !vrs
  • Add !speedup and !slowdown or anything similar
  • Around 2/3 of the server would need to vote !speedup for the rocket speed to achieve 200% (This is left unchanged)
  • Around 1/6 of the server would need to vote !speedup for the rocket speed to achieve 175%
  • Around 1/3 for 150%
  • Around 1/2 for 175%
  • The same is true for !slowdown
This solution helps those who want the rocket to not be as slow. As it stands, in a server of 12, 8 would need to vote !vrs for the vote to initiate. If 7 agree to change it, but 5 do not, we have a lot of people "suffering" because 5 people hate 200%. With the solution giving compromise, those same 5 people will not force 7 to endure the speed of 100%, and those 7 won't force those 5 to endure the speed of 200%.
Last edited by kookie on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kookie

Post by kookie »

Votes are sometimes ridiculously unfair because of people staying in spectator. They can be initiated once a number of people on the server decide to. That number however, depends entirely on the number of people on the server, not the number of people on each team. This leads to votes not being passed because of two or three people afking in spectator.

If 7 people were to play on RED or BLU, and 2 people were to stay in SPEC, we would need 6 players to vote for rtv, or any other vote. 2/3 voting realistically becomes 6/7.

This is a problem, since admins aren't always on to kick the afks, and there isn't an automatic afk manager.
Xbmann

Post by Xbmann »

Gamers

new map