Suggestion: Demoknight Shield Effects

Mr Pockets

Suggestion: Demoknight Shield Effects

Post by Mr Pockets »

Hello all! I just had an idea i mentioned before. About our friend the Demoknight. they can be a real pain for some bosses, others, entirely worthless to choose. I have a thought that might balance that a slight bit, and it regards the demoman's shield.

There are 3 shields as you know and they each do essentially the same thing, which in the end leaves only 1 real choice; The Tide Turner. that kinda blows, but i get why due to its turn effect more or less being better than a one time boss hit and most likely death after. Most demoknights in FF use their shields as a means of escape anyway, so giving up the damage is for the better.

But why not alter the other two shields? Here's my thoughts

Tide Turner
Blocks one hit, destroyed in process

Splendid Screen
Reduces melee damage taken by XX%. Does not break. reduce backstabs/headshots
(Now the XX% should be altered so the demo can last for a bit in a boss fight. however not make them uber. they restore some health per hit, so the melee buff in the hands of a good demoknight can be rather handy making them able to take on my bosses in the manliest way possible; drunk and swinging a sword)

The Chargin' Targe
Reduces Bullet/blast damage by XX%. Does not break.
(Essentially just add more of a % to the shield's resistance so demoknight can be used against the dreaded Spamus, or maybe even survive a hit from the trolltastic Gorden FreeWin, or even go toe to toe with the Doom Guy. This honestly could be a useful tank against some of the "Overpowered" bosses.)

Comparing these effects the shields would look like this:

Tide Turner
+Full Turn Control in Charge
+Blocks one boss hit entirely

-Hardly any resistence
-Breaks on damage

Splendid Screen
+Reduces melee damage taken
+Does Not Break

-No bonus to charge control
-Weak resistances

Chargin' Targe
+Heavily Reduces Ammo based Damage
+Does Not Break

-No melee reistance
-No bonus to charge control

With the right % you;d still need to be careful and still a good crit will put you under the table, but when you're up in melee thats just the law of battle. beyond that many boss rages that can counter a demoknight still will. a good fear will have you down and out just as effectively. so there wouldnt really be much of a change, just an alter to encourage some demos to use their shield to enter the battle, rather than just flee. anyway these are just my thoughts on the whole thing. thank you guys for reading!
Last edited by Mr Pockets on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No, I'm not the Scout Voice Actor.
Sir Spookleton
Veteran

Re: Suggestion: Demoknight Shield Effects

Post by Sir Spookleton »

Mr Pockets wrote:Tide Turner.

Splendid Screen.

Tide Turner.
Did you mean to write Tide Turner twice?
Last edited by Sir Spookleton on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HakureiReimu_Husky

Post by HakureiReimu_Husky »

Sir Spookleton wrote:
Mr Pockets wrote:Tide Turner.

Splendid Screen.

Tide Turner.
Did you mean to write Tide Turner twice?
On one of them I think he means Chargin' Targe
Last edited by HakureiReimu_Husky on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is goodbye.
Mr Pockets

Post by Mr Pockets »

yes i meant the Chargin Targe. Fixed.
Visprii
Veteran

Post by Visprii »

I don't think this would be a good idea. The point of having a shield is to gain crits and get a charge to run away when you need to, once the shield is gone, you're basically vulnerable to anything. The melee and ranged weapon resistances don't sound like they would work well, it's basically just the invis watch or dr for Spy, the Demoman can easily run to a healthpack, Medic, etc. and do the same thing over again. Plus the amount of Demoknights that would do this, especially with an Eyelander to regain health and speed would be insane.
--------------
SMURFASAURUS wrote: Alberta? You're proud of living in a province that's named after a 40 year old Mexican Housekeeper?
Illuse
Veteran

Post by Illuse »

AS someone who enjoys demoknights and fights them quiet a bit I never saw a problem with them, they seemed fine to me. sure they can be a pain to kill but its like dead ringer spies, 2 head and boom they are dead. Demo doesn't really need any kind of buff or de-buff on any of his things as far as I'm concerned.
"Here's a ref while you suck his furry cock" Idjit
Mr Pockets

Post by Mr Pockets »

Well This is more focused on the other 2 shields to give them a bit more fun and effect.

A "Buff" wouldn't really be needed, but honestly I was thinking of Dead Ringer Spies with this. a small buff to defense could work, enough to where the boss would have to focus a demo much like a spy to get an extra hit in. Major note though only for the shields you cant control the direction of widely, so it'd be a bit more situational in it's escape offer, however it would be available more often.

And the %'s of DR wouldnt really even need to be big since most demo knights after a few heads can survive a hit or two from a boss. the only pain is when your only way of actually keeping pace is removed in one swipe. but again thats just a thought here, I do enjoy a good tide turner escape, just felt sad its the only shield worth using at all. I love the SS's ideal of shield damage stacking onto the eyelander damage.
Illuse
Veteran

Post by Illuse »

Mr Pockets wrote:Well This is more focused on the other 2 shields to give them a bit more fun and effect.

A "Buff" wouldn't really be needed, but honestly I was thinking of Dead Ringer Spies with this. a small buff to defense could work, enough to where the boss would have to focus a demo much like a spy to get an extra hit in. Major note though only for the shields you cant control the direction of widely, so it'd be a bit more situational in it's escape offer, however it would be available more often.

That right there where the hale has to focus on a demo, demo man doesn't have a limit on his class and I sometimes see up to 15 demo's and if a hale has to focus them down like a spy then demo man will be way too strong and make hale rounds an absolute pain. If I had to focus on demo men when there is at least 7 of them then it would quickly grow into half the server playing that class due to him being really strong. Also hunting them down when they have 5 heads is hard enough, so I think they are still just fine.
Last edited by Illuse on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Here's a ref while you suck his furry cock" Idjit
Mr Pockets

Post by Mr Pockets »

While with the limit I see what you mean for an extra damage reduc, id just love to have at least 1 shield not made out of paper mache to break on the first shot of Spamus XD
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

Personally, I really like these ideas. Sadly enough, I can't relate when it comes to bosses on FF, as I'm a VSH Admin, however I'm entirely down with bringing more variety into the game, and giving people an incentive to use weapons that they normally wouldn't touch. Demoman has always seemed a little too strong in my eyes, and I think changing around some of these numbers would be a good way to balance him down, and make him less viable overall.
Last edited by Idjit on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.