/Save and /Load in surf

DR. Flopper

/Save and /Load in surf

Post by DR. Flopper »

In surf, there are multiple times when i don't know how to do a stage, and i need help. when this happens, one of the best ways to get help on a surf map is to spectate somebody who can complete it. the problem here, is that to go into spectator mode, your character dies. and once your character dies, there is no way to get back to where you were without completing all the maps before it. the server "resurfed" has a command "/save", that saves your current position ant time, so when the command "/load" is used, you teleport to where you used the command "/save" and reset your time to where it was when you used it also. i think the next step in improving disc-ff surf is implementing this sytem into it.
Last edited by DR. Flopper on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bawk Bawk Motherfuckers"- Dr.Flopper
MoneyKidKing

Re: /Save and /Load in surf

Post by MoneyKidKing »

While we do not have /save and /load commands, we do have a /stage #stagenumber (/s) that can be used to get to different stages of the map.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
DR. Flopper

Post by DR. Flopper »

MoneyKidKing wrote:While we do not have /save and /load commands, we do have a /stage #stagenumber (/s) that can be used to get to different stages of the map.
i understand why you would think they are the same with how i worded it, i forgot to add that it would save your time and you could load back into where you were, and keep your time. /s, as im sure you know, doesnt allow you to get ranked in a run where it was used. but we could instead save our time and position, go into spectator, then do /load and be back in the run, with no consequences. i have edited the last post to incorporate this.
Last edited by DR. Flopper on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bawk Bawk Motherfuckers"- Dr.Flopper
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

I'll add it to my list of revisions for the timer, however the reason I haven't already added it was because I would need to make sure any potential exploits of the /save and load are glossed over so people can't use it to get faster times than they should have. I do plan on extending it so it saves past map change so if the map changes you can resume when the player comes back.
I also have a few other things that I need to complete on the timer plugin.
Map Tiers on the map voting system,
and Bot mimic for tf2 to display the best time replay.
Haku*
Veteran

Post by Haku* »

The thing about being able to restore your timers is that this would effectively make any run of any map a no fail run.
I for example love trying to no fail staged maps (currently working on surf_fruits and probably moving on to Kistune2 afterwards).

So say you save your time on the start of s1 and fail it 8 times and then succeed, you just need to move your saved location to the start of s2 and beat the map with this method to completely nullify the time penalty of failure. You can essentially keep loading your time until you make it through the map or get a time on all stages that you're satisfied with. This would completely nullify the reason of rankings on the server since this can easily make any run from anyone (who can beat the map in the first place) almost TAS levels of perfection specially if used by some of the better surfers on the server.

Being able to save your location and velocity on a linear map for practice purposes would be a more useful addition (removing your timer when you do it) but being able to freeze your time and continue from that point just seems broken to me.

The idea is that if you're good enough to not fail and to move as efficiently as possible you get a good time and we already have a /stage command of individual stage practice.

If you can find a way to make this balanced then by all means do, but the way I see it is that you practice with /s or just doing the map over and over to beat your time and improve. Something like this would literally just turn the server into a /load fest just like the /reset bind did when the server launched. allowing people to reach impossible amounts of pre speed setting records for maps like Surf_Aircontroll forever.

Just my 2 cents, thanks for reading.
*edit* being very tired when I wrote this the point of what you were suggesting went right over my head and its not nearly as bad as I originally tought if you can only spectate when you use /save but I still think that for a time to count you should do the map in one go.
Last edited by Haku* on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clicking the image above brings you to my profile. Technology, right?
Have a great day!
HakureiReimu_Husky

Post by HakureiReimu_Husky »

Honestly this isnt a great idea. It takes away any and all skill required to finish the map at a no fail rate.
This is goodbye.
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

I don't mind the /save /load command. But it shouldn't save your time. It should remove the time like when using /s 1 otherwise it will be abused.
Much love
Jasmine
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

So the tie breaker seems to be wether or not it should save your time or not if you use the /load command.
I can make it so any body can /save at any time and the velocity, position, and angle of the player (also time if we decide to do so) is saved in the database. The commands would only be used while the player is alive and on a valid team.