ph_007skyrail feedback

Marshii

ph_007skyrail feedback

Post by Marshii »

Got any?

I've got a job now though so can't promise immediate changes.

Plus, I have Nightclub_v3 planning going on.
Abraham
Veteran

Re: ph_007skyrail feedback

Post by Abraham »

Ive already told you my personal feedback on skyrail so I wont bother posting it here as well.

What comes to the Nightclub v3 map, I already told you this but I highly suggest doing it under a different name and different style. There is no denying in people disliking maps for the label they have on them, and unfortunately the name Nightclub is not taken well anymore. Id suggest making the map heavily smaller in size, less music buttons and in all honesty more dull looking (meaning less light effects, etc.)
ImageImageImage
Bench

Post by Bench »

I personally really like skyrail, my biggest gripe for the map was always this area past the hill on both sides. If the fence was moved up to hill along with the healthpacks also being pushed up and maybe being made medium packs would fix my personal problems with this map.
http://imgur.com/a/vFLFM
So basically make the are in blue inaccessible and move the health pack to on-top of the hill
Last edited by Bench on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
Marshii

Post by Marshii »

Bench wrote:I personally really like skyrail, my biggest gripe for the map was always this area past the hill on both sides. If the fence was moved up to hill along with the healthpacks also being pushed up and maybe being made medium packs would fix my personal problems with this map.
http://imgur.com/a/vFLFM
So basically make the are in blue inaccessible and move the health pack to on-top of the hill
I'd need to have a reason for considering removing an area other than just "I don't like it." The reason that area behind the hill is there is to allow props a Line-Of-Sight blocker while they move between the buildings. Otherwise they'd have the pick a building and stay with it to prevent more 'heat', so-to-speak.
-
-
-
Equally, for the benefit of others; I do stop by chat logs every now and then to see if any feedback is given in passing in game. I've seen a lot of "It's s***" - please don't then say here that you like it if you have formerly said that - keep it to 'honest' feedback please.

Ta.

As for Nightclub, Abra, I have already thought of a name, as for the lighting - I don't really see that as an issue, nor the size. The issue was the layout making it seem a lot bigger than it was. The texture choice I also feel was an issue for the lighting, not the lighting itself - we'll see what I come up with, but don't expect it any time soon.
Last edited by Marshii on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

I found Skyrail to be akin to Farm feud, except the climbable buildings were made taller, and pushed to the edges of the map. The cable car was a cool idea, but frankly found it to be too open and barren in the middle of the map overall. Sure there were a few mounds, but nothing to really obscure vision. To me, it felt like there was no chance for running.

Nightclub, I completely agree with Abra. You know the Nightclub name has a stigma against it, ergo it should have a different name.
Likewise, it should be substantially smaller, with less going on light-wise. The current nightclub is a battle between too much in the way of different lighting, and literally no lighting in some areas. Personally, I think it looks messy.

Another idea would be to change things up a bit geometrically. Square and rectangle rooms/corridors gets very bland very quickly, and ramps and staircases can only do so much. Ain't a thing wrong with a bit of curve.

Please oh lord keep it to two music buttons tops, maybe even three. Even I'm guilty of over-doing it in that department. People just fight over the buttons, and it's a massive distraction from the gameplay, and just a pain in the ass for admins to have to deal with.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

Marshii, you can't ask for feedback and then shoot down those who give it.
"I don't like it" is a perfectly good feedback as an explanation. Either maps works for the community or they don't. And if people say they don't like the map, it's not going to get played. It's that simple.

Time and time again you've asked for feedback but when you get it you shoot it down because it doesn't go along with your original thought with the map.
Having an artistic vision is fantastic and kwe your integrity BUT the community have spoken several times about feedback and your always shoot them down.

You know I adore you and I miss you on prophunt but I'm not a fan of nightclub either. Because it's too big, the lighting is odd and it's just way too much to go through.
I love facility however! And skyrail came after I stopped being a regular on prophunt so I don't have an opinion on that.
Last edited by Jasmine on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much love
Jasmine
Marshii

Post by Marshii »

@Samba
- Skyrail
I find the comparison to farm feud very curious given the number of routes inside the buildings. Perhaps I should consider moving/adding health packs inside as my main focus of the map was duking in and around the buildings. If it's not achieving that then perhaps no enough health is being given?
My caution with adding more things in the middle initially was due to consistently hearing "Too much prop spam" in all my other maps, hence reserved placement. I can maybe add some more log piles, but beyond that I don't really want to do anything particularly 'vertical' if you get my meaning?

-Nightclub
My plan does include curves, way ahead of you on that one :D As for lighting, I am inclined to turn it more into an upper market club, rather than 'disco rooms'. If you ever played Goldeneye007 (the remake) and tried the Zukovsky club maps, that's what I'm shooting for - aiming to use coloured textures on the walls and regular lighting as much as possible in order to get the colours going, with only the occasional lighting 'highlight' (pun intended).
Music buttons - my intention is to remove them completely and have music playing in the map by default with a hidden 'mute' button in the map so that snd_restart doesn't need to be spammed every time. Depending on the structure of the map, maybe use different music playing in different areas, but that might be a little to challenging to merge seamlessly.

@Jasmine
The thing is Jasmine, "I don't like it" while a perfectly valid reason for not wanting to play a map is decidedly unhelpful from an iterative perspective. It provides me with little to no information about what I need to change about the map, what is liked, what isn't and so on. If you noticed in this regard I haven't shot anyone down, rather I have asked for elaboration and description because that is what is needed to make the map 'better' for those who play it.
In the past yes perhaps I have shut down feedback at times, then again I think we all know it turned out I was a little justified in that, but let's not go there. I remade Courtyard as per feedback despite initially protesting: "It's a team map, not a point whore map, hence the size.", I added areas to facility as per feedback despite my protestations; "It's supposed to be faithful to the original", and so on and so forth.

As for nightclub's lighting; what's 'odd' about it? I don't quite understand. I get the 'Too many bright colours in the main room, and dark areas elsewhere', however.