Prophunt - Can one be too good at it?

ConTroll
Server Admin

Prophunt - Can one be too good at it?

Post by ConTroll »

I'm making this thread not to say what I think should happen, but rather to collect an opinion from the regulars and hopefully discuss other solutions.

One of the largest problems from my (random player) perspective is that some players are seen as "too good at prophunt" (aka tryhards). While I understand they are not doing anything wrong and have a group of friends that they attract to the server, they can really kill the fun of the game for those who aren't at that level, myself included. I know regulars who would disconnect when certain strong players join, then other players disconnect because those they enjoyed playing with left. That being said, I definitely do not want to stop these strong players from playing on our server, they are important members of our community.

Here is what I have observed over my time playing prophunt on our server and others:

When strong players hide, they tend to depend on running around for survival more than hiding. Sure they do know many great hiding spots, but when there are strong players on the enemy team they depend on their running and jumping skills to survive the round. For that reason they usually hide in spots that are easy to run away from when they recognise a strong player coming close.

When lesser skilled players hide, they can't hide as the strong players have memorised the maps. They do not have the skill to dodge flares so running isn't a great option. As soon as they are found, they do not even get a chance to run as the combination of degreaser with flare gun / axtinguisher is an instant death to scouts. It is depressing knowing that as a prop, all you will be able to do is wait for the strong player to come and farm you for another point.

Here is a radical idea I want to discuss with you guys; rebalance/remove the flare gun and/or axtinguisher, maybe make them do mini-crits instead of full crits. There isn't a way to make it easier for lesser skilled players to hide, but making it easier for them to run away when they are found could possibly make the game more enjoyable for them.

If you are one of the stronger players, what do you think about being weakened this way so that others may enjoy the game more? Maybe you have other solutions?
Can players be too good at this game or is it just the minority that feel this way?

Thanks for reading, I know this is a pretty salty thread xD sorry about that.
Last edited by ConTroll on Wed May 03, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dongle
Forum Mod

Re: Prophunt - Can one be too good at it?

Post by Dongle »

I see where you're coming from, and I can understand both view points, this isn't really something that's server specific. Any one good player can ruin the fun for an entire server, however making weapon adjustments would not be a good idea. The only possible way of this getting better is if the good players take it easy on the newer people, but that won't happen obviously. So ultimately it's up to the older guys to help the newbies or else you'll run into the same problems.
ImageImage
Bench

Post by Bench »

These are not direct changes, simply opinions

Flare Gun - Mini Crit on Hit vs Enemies on Fire, increase afterburn damage
Axtinguisher - Mini Crit on Hit vs Enemies on Fire, increased overall damage
Decorated Shotgun - Same stats as Stock Shotgun
Scout - Increased Movement Speed while on fire, buff resistance to Fire
Pyro - Slower Movement Speed
Heavy - Remove 2 Heavy Limit

Impossible solution that most likely could never be implemented but should be noted - Having the two highest scoring players on each team somehow have reduced damage. Some sort of system like this could be fair except you can leave and reset points.
Last edited by Bench on Wed May 03, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
ConTroll
Server Admin

Post by ConTroll »

Dongle wrote:Any one good player can ruin the fun for an entire server, however making weapon adjustments would not be a good idea.
Could you elaborate please? :)
Last edited by ConTroll on Wed May 03, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bench

Post by Bench »

ConTroll wrote:
Dongle wrote:Any one good player can ruin the fun for an entire server, however making weapon adjustments would not be a good idea.
My interpretation as to what he is saying is that having a weapon be nerfed won't change a player's skill level but instead their play style. Decreasing the stats on one weapon will only make it slightly harder for the good players to get kills while be really difficult for newer players.
Last edited by Bench on Wed May 03, 2017 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
Dongle
Forum Mod

Post by Dongle »

ConTroll wrote:
Well, the gamemode is designed to be fair, not balanced. If you were to nerf a few weapons, this affects everyone, providing a greater disadvantage to newer players. If your intent is to have it where newer players have more weapon buffs, maybe Fire can make that happen. Aside from this possibility, this would not make a positive impact.
Last edited by Dongle on Wed May 03, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ConTroll
Server Admin

Post by ConTroll »

If we get to the root of the arguement, the problem is newer players not having a chance to survive while trying to hide from strong players. They are doing fine hunting other average players by holding down m1 with their flamethrowers and thats not getting nerfed.
Last edited by ConTroll on Wed May 03, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neko
Veteran

Post by Neko »

Although I am not a fan of prophunt personally, I do see your point. However, bad players in video games will exist no matter what happens, weapon nerfs or not. If newer players are serious about playing a game they like and want to do well in it, then they will learn over time and become part of the veterans. It's all part of playing a video game in general. Unless something is broke, there is no need to fix it. That being said, I think things should stay the way they are considering knowledge trumps stats and variables of weapons.
https://github.com/SollyVR
Add me on VRChat: "Solly."
Add me on Steam: linked to my forums website.
ConTroll
Server Admin

Post by ConTroll »

Fair point made.
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

I had two ideas a while ago to help this issue but I just haven't have the time or really the desire to look into doing it.

Here are the two ideas:

1. Rework the rank system to give extra points to people who never move once they lock in their prop location. Give extra points to people who don't use !propmenu and stick with the random prop they are given. This would give people a reason not to run around and try to play the hide and seek game mode as it was intended to be played.

2. Create a script that will allow me to place props around each map. The placed props will be randomized each round so only a few of them show. This would make each map harder to memorize.
ImageImage