Murder Server

Mitch
Server Admin

Re: Murder Server

Post by Mitch »

Added Overtime, after 3 minutes the round will go into overtime, if the Murderers have not killed enough people the round will end, if they've killed more than enough then additional time will be added up to 5 minutes.
Potentially fixed issues with guns not dropping when a player disconnects.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Fixed a few glitches
But most importantly added Murder classes. (!class)
Check em out, nonadmins will need to have Supporter status to play as Jack the Ripper or The Butcher. For more information there is descriptions for each class in the !class menu. Let me know if you see and glitches or balancing issues.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Fixed up pumpkinpatch map having bad spawn point (not sure how that happened..)
Fixed koth_nucleus_event have bad spawn points.

Looks like Max Box did a video on the Murder server, which was currently playing on Abraham's Minecraft map!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90xTOYH3I8
noodle22

Post by noodle22 »

Mitch wrote: Added Overtime, after 3 minutes the round will go into overtime, if the Murderers have not killed enough people the round will end, if they've killed more than enough then additional time will be added up to 5 minutes.
Please please please please cut overtime. It's very annoying and confusing, while I was playing the whole server thought it was a glitch because it's such an ill-conceived addition. It makes no sense to extend the killer's time limit if they're doing a bad job and didn't kill everyone in time. Plus nobody knows when overtime will happen so you can't adjust your survival plans accordingly. Plenty of times we evaded the murderers and thought we won when lo and behold overtime happens. It's immensely frustrating and rewards bad play. Instead of killing everyone as fast as you can you can just kill the bare minimum and get a time extension. Not to mention it extends the round time by as much as five minutes, horribly boring for all the spectators. You've created a really great mod here, simple to understand and fun to play. Overtime replaces the fun with frustration and muddles up what should be a simple rule: kill everyone within the time limit or else. To avoid being all negative though the class additions are really fun, thanks for that :)
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Overtime is supposed to punish murderers who dont kill. Before i added overtime the rounds were 5 minutes regardless and murderers would wait till the last minute. I can make it 4 minutes with no overtime just to remove the confusion.
Edit: my post was a bit confusing. The max time a round can last is 5 minutes. So a 3 minute round base, and overtime would only add up to 2 additional minutes.
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Mitch wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:39 am Overtime is supposed to punish murderers who dont kill. Before i added overtime the rounds were 5 minutes regardless and murderers would wait till the last minute. I can make it 4 minutes with no overtime just to remove the confusion.
Edit: my post was a bit confusing. The max time a round can last is 5 minutes. So a 3 minute round base, and overtime would only add up to 2 additional minutes.
Could you possibly make it the way that the time gained for a kill gets added as soon as the kill happens, now I know this could be 'abused' as it would reveal that someone has died but it would remove the confusion while keeping players who like to delay rounds by goofing around in control.
ImageImageImage
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Abraham wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:03 am
Mitch wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:39 am Overtime is supposed to punish murderers who dont kill. Before i added overtime the rounds were 5 minutes regardless and murderers would wait till the last minute. I can make it 4 minutes with no overtime just to remove the confusion.
Could you possibly make it the way that the time gained for a kill gets added as soon as the kill happens, now I know this could be 'abused' as it would reveal that someone has died but it would remove the confusion while keeping players who like to delay rounds by goofing around in control.
I can add a notification for the murderers, like the one that already displays when a bystander dies. And also add in a notification at the 60sec warning that will tell everybody if the round will go into overtime, and I can override the count down so it doesn't have the audio countdown when it's going into overtime. Either that or add the extra time at the 60 second warning instead.
noodle22

Post by noodle22 »

Trying to incentivize the murderers to not delay is a good idea, but maybe it could be done differently. I think penalizing murderers who don't attack by lowering their karma would work well, it already works really well to prevent bystanders from shooting each other. If a murderer doesn't attack after the first minute they could get a warning that if they continue to be inactive they will lose karma. This won't cause any confusion and it will encourage murderers to not needlessly delay while still allowing them to wait for the perfect moment to strike. This will also only punish the inactive murderer, not his teammates who may be attacking.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

noodle22 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 am Trying to incentivize the murderers to not delay is a good idea, but maybe it could be done differently. I think penalizing murderers who don't attack by lowering their karma would work well, it already works really well to prevent bystanders from shooting each other. If a murderer doesn't attack after the first minute they could get a warning that if they continue to be inactive they will lose karma. This won't cause any confusion and it will encourage murderers to not needlessly delay while still allowing them to wait for the perfect moment to strike. This will also only punish the inactive murderer, not his teammates who may be attacking.
I'm kind of on the border of impacting a player's karma, however it almost seems like the most logical issue.

Scenario 1: Set the timer back to base 5 minute games. Instead of impacting the player's karma we make them have a "smoke" effect if they don't kill some one after X amount of time. This will reveal them and they will go into action. However I can see some people might complain if the time isn't enough to get a first kill etc, and it's already unfair if there is 2 or more murderers and some one isn't carrying their weight. X amount of time can be 1.5 minutes, giving them time to understand they'll be known.

Scenario 2: Set the timer back to base 5 minute games. Decrease their karma longer the murderer wait. Notifying them that their karma is deceasing for not killing players might get confusing, and could give away that they are the murderer if they ask "why does it say my karma is decreasing" etc.

Scenario 3: we keep the overtime however instead of waiting till the last second to go into overtime it goes into overtime a minute early, players would get less time to kill players to extend the round meaning less timed rounds (which could be frustrating also) however the innocent players wouldn't have to wait to see if it goes to overtime. (Overtime where only the traitors can see the overtime amount is apart of the Gmod TTT, this is why I thought it was a good idea.)

Also I appreciate the feedback for the murder server.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

I have a followup patch that I want to put on the server but I believe it needs more testing:
matmV3.3.2/v1.2.4
• Allow gun skins, this includes the festive revolver and any weapon paints. (This is the most troubling addition because players could end up for an incorrect gun or glitch with no run).
• Allow non-admins to view their own Karma. (This will be generic and not give you an exact value, however it will give you an idea if you are eligible for a gun or not.)
• Improved class selection logic (Not really seen by the player but it will hopefully improve the lag produced by the end of setup selection)
I'd make it so the murderer knives aren't the default knife however I have yet to find a nice way of doing it especially with the classes.