admin abuse flaming MM

Sniperthatkills

admin abuse flaming MM

Post by Sniperthatkills »

I joined one of your murder mystery servers, after I started talking, I was told my mic was too loud, so I turned it down halfway. After that the only words I said were "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air" As the song goes, it was applicable at the moment, and was immediately told by "Flaming" that I was mic spamming. I said "You don't need to be an ass" as everyone was talking about whatever, having whole conversations about things like dogs. He then proceeded to mute me for an hour and tell me "Read the rules" without telling me even where to go. I feel this was more on the abusive side and should be punished as such, I believe that communication is one of the most important things to have on a server. If new people come in and are turned away as fast as I was the server population is the most likely to not grow healthily.
PastaStalin
Forum Mod

Re: admin abuse flaming MM

Post by PastaStalin »

Can you provide your Steam ID so that we know who you are in this case? Without accurate information, we will not be able to verify your report.
If you have map suggestions for the DISC-FF Surf server, then you can ask me. I will set them up for you.
Ignatious
Server Admin

Post by Ignatious »

I was the admin who muted and gagged them, not Flaming. The mute was for 30 minutes due them being immediately toxic/hostile after I told them not to sing on the mic. The gag was given due to further chat toxicity and insult. I don't give punishments out without good reason and stand by these two punishments given this person's response.
Jordo.jpeg

Post by Jordo.jpeg »

This guy joined Murder last night around 12:30 AM CST under the username bobrossauce. Within a couple minutes of being on the server, he began using his mic to speak over voice chat. Upon the first couple of uses, his mic was found to be loud enough and fuzzy enough to be considered a detriment to communication as well as a general annoyance to all players with ears who were in the server. Ignatious politely informed him that he needed to turn his microphone volume down, and bobrossauce obliged.

A few minutes after that, bobrossauce began singing the theme song from Greatest American Hero over voice chat completely unprompted and in spite of the fact that it goes against community rules. After a couple seconds of this, I took the liberty of asking bobrossauce over voice chat to "Please do not sing over the mic." I admittedly do not recall one way or the other whether Flaming also asked him to stop breaking the rules at this time. I do recall, however, a brief moment later when bobrossauce responded with "You don't need to be an ass about it," which I perceived as a response to my suggestion. When this was happening, I remember feeling like this response was uncalled for, and that I had asked him succinctly and firmly without attacking him.

Almost immediately after this comment was made, bobrossauce was muted by Ignatious for 60 minutes. This punishment seemed fair given that he had disrupted communication, sang, downplayed the significance of community rules, and spread toxicity -- all of these items taking place over voice chat -- within the span of 10-15 minutes (for reference, his total connection time this evening was only 17 minutes according to gameME). Jun 16, 2023 12:44:34 am, bobrossauce writes into chat "dude this server has been dead for over a year and i get muted for a hour go fuck yourself admin abusing ass hat." I do not remember seeing the notification for bobrossauce getting gagged, but it seems fair given his response in chat.

bobrossauce did not demonstrate a desire to abide by commuity rules or correct his behavior at any point post-punishment or on the original post, which he instead appears to have used to defend himself singing and calling another community member an ass over voice chat. The actions Ignatious took were exactly what I would hope for and expect from any admin in this situation.
Feel free to contact me if you need anything else or there's something I can do. Thanks.

- Jordo
Sniperthatkills

Post by Sniperthatkills »

Saying the intro line to a song can hardly be considered mic spam its 8 words and takes up a total of 3 seconds on the voice chat that is hardly a thing to consider mic spam and warrant a warning in any regard especially when others can talk about their dog for over a minute with no warning whatsoever making the comment feel very targeted as people were saying basically whatever they wanted in voice at the time hence you don't need to be an ass comment I then get gagged for a hour this is the entire first engagement I had on this server on a server I have seen no activity on for about a year leading to me becoming frustrated with something I used to have fun on leading to my complaint about admin abuse even as the events transpired a hour long gag for "you don't need to be an ass" is excessive unless there is a no swearing rule. it wasn't a half hour gag at first it was an immediate 1 hour long gag hence why my further frustration. As for the 17 minutes I was in the server at the time I was in for another 10 minutes trying to figure out who gagged me and identified the wrong individual.

mic spam is considered spamming binds or loud noises and 8 words 1 time is not mic spamming.

mic hogging implies I'm using the mic almost all the time 3 seconds again warrants no warning.

In my opinion I was warned for no reason and when I voiced my frustration in maybe not the most constructive way and was subsequently muted for a hour I'd find it difficult for anyone to not get frustrated further after feeling this targeted
Ignatious
Server Admin

Post by Ignatious »

I can understand how you might feel this way. The murder game mode requires frequent and/or constant communication in order to play properly for everyone. Generally speaking, non-game chat is allowed at times when appropriate and people are aware enough to follow the rules and limit themselves for the greater good of the server. It is not a hard rule - black and white with no room for allowance.

This is especially difficult to communicate to people new to the server which is why we post about reading !rules and !class. We try to help new players when possible. Ask any of the regular players on the server.

However, we didn't get a good chance to explain to you why we have these rules. You went immediately to insults and antagonism. Most people understand that insulting people doesn't generally lead to constructive dialog. At the time it seemed like you never even tried to be reasonable and weren't interested in doing so. You didn't listen to us and didn't follow the rules. The murder server tends to be run a bit more tightly than most servers because of it's special nature and most players, after experiencing it, appreciate the improved game experience and the effort of not just admins, but also regular players, to help people and, when necessary, inform others. Then if needed an admin can step in to address the situation.

I'm sorry your experience was negative and not what you expected. With your attitude and response, constructive discussion seemed unlikely. And at that point there is only so much we can do to ensure a fair play experience for everyone on the server so a mute and gag, given your response, I feel was justified. The punishments were not severe - 30 and 60 minutes, though I did extend the mute to two hours - and would have been over relatively quickly. I do think that you coming here to communicate further, despite being a complaint, is a positive thing.
Last edited by Ignatious on Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dongle
Forum Mod

Post by Dongle »

Punishments have expired, so I'm locking this thread. Any further incidents may lead to much harsher punishments so be mindful of our rules and guidelines, which includes not singing because singing can either not contribute to a conversation and/or disrupt gameplay.

Literally sing on any other server dude if you want to sing, it's that simple.
ImageImage