Shots not registering? Lagging? Here are some TIPS for you!

lordsess24

Shots not registering? Lagging? Here are some TIPS for you!

Post by lordsess24 »

Since I play on a laptop over wi-fi, I have done a ton of reading online as to how to get less lag/fps drop/hit registration in game. I can stream a 1080p video or netflix, but WTF CS:S ICEWORLD runs like donkey penis sometimes and im being shot behind walls, ect? I needed to figure out what was going on.

(Remember the iceworld server is 66 tick rate)

Figured I play CS:S a lot, so why not take some time and figure out what the settings do and how to tweak them.

Check this out, it describes in depth what the terms and commands mean:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... Networking

How cl_interp and rates work:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1353969

This seems to work optimal for me:

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
cl_interp_ratio 2
cl_interp 0.050
rate
(i did not edit this, as the default rate seemed to work fine for me. I was never able to adjust it to make it better, only worse, or the same. Read up on it if you decide to mess with it!)

Before the game loads, I use, fps_max 81, because my FPS can spike high then drop, and it should not be noticeable to the eye, but you can feel it. Jedi status gaming son!

Net_Graph 3 (That is the command to show your fps, packets in/out, lerp, ect. Can also use net_graph 1 or 2, but it shows less info)

Some of the settings might be outdated, but it gives a great overview of how your computer and the server interact and what certain things mean and how to read them using the netgraph command.
Last edited by lordsess24 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
DutchKitty
Veteran

Re: Shots not registering? Lagging? Here are some TIPS for y

Post by DutchKitty »

yeah fps drop is FUCKING ANNOYING.
Last edited by DutchKitty on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordsess24

Post by lordsess24 »

Also some cliff notes, I did not write this but took it off another forum:

cl_interp_ratio is the key cvar here. Default is 2 and most people try to set it to 0 or 1 because "2 causes lag!!11". This is not the case. Most people also try to keep lerp where the ping is and most people also try to set cl_interp as low as they can. All these will cause non-registering hits, even if the lerp is white.

Possible settings for low lerp:

cl_cmdrate 100, cl_updaterate 100, cl_interp_ratio 1, cl_interp 0.025 = lerp 25ms (white, but because tickrate is 66, the setting is pointless and too low lerp)

cl_cmdrate 66, cl_updaterate 66, cl_interp_ratio 1, cl_interp 0.030 ) lerp 30ms (white but still way too tight to simulate on your screen. Will cause bloody faces with 0 damage taken)

cl_cmdrate 66, cl_updaterate 66, cl_interp_ratio 2, cl_interp 0.030 = lerp 30.3ms (almost the best value, but still too tight as your ping usually is higher.

cl_cmdrate 66, cl_updaterate 66, cl_interp_ratio 2, cl_interp 0.040 = lerp
40ms. This is what i use and it's quite perfect.

lerp = your own ping + ~10-20
Last edited by lordsess24 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
lordsess24

Post by lordsess24 »

One last thing, before BK calls me out for doing shittier lately:

The last time I played BlackKnight 1v1 to try and get into DISC, I did not do as good as I had hoped. I couldn't aim as good as I used to when I would play back in the day. Actually I just didn't aim as well anymore, and I wondered why? So I fiddled with my game settings (see first post :p ), and lowered my mouse sensitivity. (Also bought a cooling fan for my laptop, definitely notice a FPS drop when it gets really hot!) It is taking a long time to get used to, but today I went into iceworld and rocked it pretty hard.

I have trying to awp a lot less, and use the other guns more often, at least the M4, AK47, and pistols. So that explains why I have been doing sub-par recently and took a huge drop in rank, ect.

Oh and my name changing is for fun, people seem to get there jimmies very rustled when someone they have never seen on iceworld before rocks there face in. :) I almost always end up changing it back before I stop gaming for the night.
Last edited by lordsess24 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackKnight

Post by BlackKnight »

I set my interp at 0 all day, If you want to go 1 v 1 again, I'll optimize and put my sound on.
Last edited by BlackKnight on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordsess24

Post by lordsess24 »

LOL! This is what its like every time me and BK get on the forums. No where else, in game were cool, hes a good dude. Just on the forums. It's lulzy.

Last edited by lordsess24 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apathy
Veteran

Post by Apathy »

I've had the best registery with:
rate 100000
cl_cmdrate 128
cl_updaterate 128
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1

but I guess it's different depending on your network etc
Last edited by Apathy on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minnesota

Post by Minnesota »

Apathy wrote:I've had the best registery with:
rate 100000
cl_cmdrate 128
cl_updaterate 128
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1

but I guess it's different depending on your network etc
Also depends on your preferences.
Last edited by Minnesota on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackKnight

Post by BlackKnight »

Also depends on how shitty your aim is. With settings like that you're hitting trailing/leading hitboxes, not where you are actually aiming.
Last edited by BlackKnight on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sankoose120

Post by Sankoose120 »

Tweaked my settings and found the best one but I have to enter it every time I open up css. Can you fix it?
Last edited by Sankoose120 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.