Remake of "How you came to Disc-FF"

Jasmine
Veteran

Remake of "How you came to Disc-FF"

Post by Jasmine »

So back in 2014 Spicy made a thread asking how people found their way to the Disc-ff servers.
Now, there's been people coming and going and I got curious.

I used to be a lot more active in the community and knowing most of the people around and I realized that I don't anymore and I think it's time to change that.

So how did you find Disc-ff?
What servers do you play most on?
What made you stay with this community?

I'll copy my own answer from that specific thread
Me and my friend had been playing Left 4 dead 2 for a while and was looking for a new game.
We started to look at youtubevideos and ofc I stumbled over PewDiePie and his prophunt playing. But we didnt want to pay for G-mod that he was playing so we started to google and found out that tf2 was supposed to be easy to handle.
So, downloaded, found a prophunt server wich was GM.
We started to play, I for myself hated it at first cause we managed to always play with their top-players and therefor died instantly every round.

But from one day to another GM stopped working. And around this time we actually started to enjoy prophunt. So we searched for a new server. And found Disc.
I loved it from the first moment on, the propmenu meant that I could do the things I wanted to do on GM but not did cause of props. And I noticed how much better I became fast when I could try things I wanted to.
I also loved how much everyone was talking and how friendly it was and I quickly found some new friends that I sticked to play with.
That GM crashed can possibly be the best gamer-related thing that could've happened to me cause otherwise I wouldnt have come here.

Then I applied for admin and really had no hopes at all getting it cause I was new, didnt have any experience and really strugle with my language from time to time. But I got so many nice words and I got admin and Im still hyped-out about it ^^ And this just makes me even more dedicated to keep the PH server growing!

My ph-regulars is my second family and I lub them very much ^^

Edit: And oh, I started to play tf2 late July and GM broke in late august. So I've been here since September maybe =)
And adding to that, I've now been here since September 2013. So I'm coming up on my 5th year with the community.
I swap servers every so often, lately I've been spending most of my time on Murder, before that Dodgeball and Freak Fortress.

I've stuck with the community cause it's been constantly developing. New servers have come and gone and so has the people. But the community is constantly growing and I've met some of the most amazing people on these servers.
It was also on these servers I first met Shiro/Josh who I now live with. I moved to a different country as 27years old, something I never thought I'd do. And that wouldn't have happened without these servers.

So thank you Fire, for creating this platform.
Much love
Jasmine
Abraham
Veteran

Re: Remake of "How you came to Disc-FF"

Post by Abraham »

I got drunk, I found this thing called PropHunt, met this crazy swedish girl, not sure if anyone knows her but she had this weird ass tag [BJ], I think her name was Jasmine. I got involved in the community in autumn 2013, roughly the same time Jasmine did and first became an admin on the PropHunt server early 2014. I sticked with the community since I found it to be filled with some of the friendliest and most welcoming people I ever met online, eversince I became an admin and got the chance to help the community out even more, I never looked back. People love, hate & most importantly accept me as the drunken dumbass I am online, so I couldnt have choosen my main community better.
ImageImageImage
Faiithe
Veteran

Post by Faiithe »

It was the middle of the night and I was in our animation rooms in college, alone, and going crazy over a deadline so I decided to play some games. I kept jumping from server to server to find something I like on TF2. Found Fire's freak fortress. Met you wish you knew who was an admin at freak at that time and decided to stick around cause I thought he was a cooool guy to play with. And then just overall got stuck playing Freak. Forever. I legit don't know why I'm around or why I came back (maybe I'm a sadist, maybe a part of me actually like some of the people, maybe D_Roy was insane enough to drag me back when I left after I resigned as Freak admin).

I ended up getting global and met more mediocrity like Attacking Lizard who is a poop head and Angel who's a complete nugget, Dongle who is just being Dongle, Fawf and Plaus, uhh. Yeah. I'm sure there's more people I need to thank on why I ended up still sticking around. (check my friends list. Whoever's there that's from freak,they're the main reasons why I stick around)
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

I would like to take this time and reflect on the CS:S Jailbreak and how much it compares to childcare for multiple autistic kids where the parents never came to pick them up after work.
LewandaSillyFeathers
Server Admin

Post by LewandaSillyFeathers »

Someone named monkey (who used to be a famous tf2 trader) came on the now dead Pyro Protect Me unusual server. There were no admins to middle man for a spycrab so he took them to fire's unusual server and I decided to follow him. I liked the unusual server fire had and decided to apply for unusual admin. Got unusual admin and then journeyed to freak fortress and enjoyed that game mode so much that I applied for admin there too. The unusual server sadly was shut down but I got freak admin and really enjoyed my time there. Eventually I got global. I mostly hang on murder now but I started playing freak fortress again recently and am reminded how much fun it is. I've met a lot of cool people over the past couple years and I'm really glad I followed money to disc-ff that day.
Last edited by LewandaSillyFeathers on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why would you ever accept fear when you have the power to refuse it?
SkyBlue: He didn't lick it good enough.
Onion: is it cause of my race?
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

I played Prop Hunt on Source OP. I stopped playing for a while, then came back to a dead server. I looked for another server, and the only one with a decent amount of players was disc-ff. If I recall, my first map on the server was farm feud. I believe Kari and Jasmine were admins at the time. I became more a frequent regular later on, having added it to my favorites.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
AttackingLizard

Post by AttackingLizard »

Enter little old me a small child wondering how to get items in tf2. I find an old video that says you can idle for items in tf2 I look up idle servers for tf2 and I find this brand new day old server by Fire Friendly, and the rest is history.

The reason I ended up staying with the community is because everyone was just as rambunctious and stupid as I was (at least on Idles). Ever since then I cant get enough of the sheer stupidity and fun that idle causes is just irreplaceable, there's no where else like it. Plus everyone in ts plus faiithe are dope as fuck so that helps.
Last edited by AttackingLizard on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FawfulRoach
Veteran

Post by FawfulRoach »

Found Freak Fortress server 2 on my favorites from a while back at the time. Since then, I just kinda got hooked lol.
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

Way back when, in like 2014, I started playing on Trade #2, then I disappeared for a few months. Came back to see the server less active than it used to be, so I started hopping around.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
Lanliss

Post by Lanliss »

I have an on-again-off-again relationship with Disc. I found a different VSH server first, and loved the game mode quite a bit. From there I cam to Disc, looking for a server that was active in the hours my usual one was dead. I came in when Sindri and Mustik were around, or at least that is the earliest I have a clear memory of. I fell out and in now and then, but have spent much more of my recent years IN Disc FF rather than out. Finally just this past year I started spreading to other servers than VSH, hoping to learn a bit about the community when I applied for admin. Found my best homes on Murder, PH, and always VSH.