Dedicated Servers - How Do You Set Up Custom Files for Client Download?

Doomblade3890

Dedicated Servers - How Do You Set Up Custom Files for Client Download?

Post by Doomblade3890 »

I made a map for Slender Fortress that uses custom materials and sounds a while back. When I came back to see how it was doing, people were apparently unable to download the material files from their servers. This wasn't on just one community server, either.

When I uploaded the .zip file to Game Banana containing the folders for the map, the materials, and the custom sound, this was the structure I used:

Code: Select all

[
    [
        "slender_his_world_a1\/--README--.txt",
        "slender_his_world_a1\/tf\/maps\/slender_his_world_a2.bsp",
        "slender_his_world_a1\/tf\/maps\/slender_his_world_a2.nav",
        "slender_his_world_a1\/tf\/materials\/HisWorld\/Warning.vmt",
        "slender_his_world_a1\/tf\/materials\/HisWorld\/Warning.vtf",
        "slender_his_world_a1\/tf\/materials\/decals\/MapCredits.vmt",
        "slender_his_world_a1\/tf\/materials\/decals\/MapCredits.vtf",
        "slender_his_world_a1\/tf\/sound\/LetItDie.wav"
    ]
]
My initial thought was that these files were simply dragged into the /tf folder on the server's directory, and then dropped into the models, materials, sounds, etc. folders. When I tried setting up a dedicated server on my PC to test this, I then joined the server on my laptop (since the latter doesn't have the custom materials and sounds and such installed). I had sv_allowdownload set to 1 and the client settings to allow all downloads from the server, but whenever I connect to the server, I don't download anything.

Is there a specific location I'm supposed to place the custom files within the server's directories in order to have clients download them, or is there a bit of coding that I need to do to accomplish this?
Mitch
Server Admin

Re: Dedicated Servers - How Do You Set Up Custom Files for Client Download?

Post by Mitch »

You should pack these files into your bsp after compiling. Server managers shouldn't need to upload any custom files for clients to download.
Doomblade3890

Re: Dedicated Servers - How Do You Set Up Custom Files for Client Download?

Post by Doomblade3890 »

Mitch wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:46 pm You should pack these files into your bsp after compiling. Server managers shouldn't need to upload any custom files for clients to download.
Thanks Mitch. I tried using Pakrat in the past, and tried using it once more. The program was able to detect custom materials, sounds, and other files, and allowed me to add them to the map's pak, but for some odd reason, subsequent scans showed that these files were not part of the pak, even though they were listed as such. This was evidenced as when I tried loading the map on another computer, the textures and such were missing. I had to switch over to using VIDE instead, and now it works fine. I guess Pakrat doesn't work on newer SOURCE engine games, or at least those post-STEAM Pipe.