So, about the sniper nerf in the FF2 servers..

Valyrihme

So, about the sniper nerf in the FF2 servers..

Post by Valyrihme »

I honestly think that the sniper nerf (regular stock damage for snipers w/ bushwacka equipped) is completely unnecessary. I don't think that sniper is overpowered, because like any class, he simply shines in certain maps. A heavy would not be viable in a big, wide open map, but he excels in closed, tight spaces. This nerf drives sniper into the ground by making him either: A. You are completely grounded, you have no form of escaping the boss or any mobility, and you are easy to kill, or B. You can move around more freely, but you do next to no damage. When I tried the nerf out a few days ago, 14 bullets got me a whopping 700 or so damage. It is impossible to hit consistent headshots as well, as the bosses come in varying shapes, have their super jumps, have spontaneous movement and get knocked around repeatedly by the rest of your team.

Many do not know how to counter sniper, and I believe that they're the type that are all for this nerf. Scout or spy bosses are highly mobile and combined with strafing, erratic movement, being unpredictable, targeting sniper spots, etc. make for a complete counter towards sniper. The smart player would pick a boss relevant to the map and class composition. Even a boss that isn't a spy or scout model is able to counter sniper with the right plays.

The nerf was completely unnecessary, and sniper's bushwacka should be reverted back to its original stats. While I highly believe sniper does not need ANY nerf, if he were to have one, please just make it a class limit and not an absolute death to his damage and viability. Thank you.
Last edited by Valyrihme on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fire
Owner

Re: So, about the sniper nerf in the FF2 servers..

Post by Fire »

Thanks for the feedback. I will talk about this change in the next admin meeting. If there are other people who feel the same have them come post here.
ImageImage
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

This nerf has been on our Saxton Hale server for years. It is very easy to bypass, the only thing it truly changes is the fact that snipers need to taunt before they shoot. They need to make their hits count, as they only do max damage for a period of time. It also puts a soft cap on their damage output, preventing a hale from being shredded as quickly as he previously was on some maps.

It seems like people need to take time to adjust to the change, as it really doesn't do much aside from force the snipers to take a moment to taunt between each shot.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
Varple
Veteran

Post by Varple »

Idjit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 am This nerf has been on our Saxton Hale server for years. It is very easy to bypass, the only thing it truly changes is the fact that snipers need to taunt before they shoot. They need to make their hits count, as they only do max damage for a period of time. It also puts a soft cap on their damage output, preventing a hale from being shredded as quickly as he previously was on some maps.

It seems like people need to take time to adjust to the change, as it really doesn't do much aside from force the snipers to take a moment to taunt between each shot.
Yeah that's Saxton Hale. Saxton Hale should not be used to justify Freak Fortress related things. Two different game modes, different bosses and different player bases. Honestly, when we come up with ideas for Freak we should not use "It worked in Saxton why not try it in Freak." because honestly, that doesn't help at all.

I personally disagree with the bushwhacka nerf however you don't necessarily need to use it. Why not use another weapon and try to go stealth as a sniper? If the nerf was to be reverted I wouldn't mind. But if I were to suggest someone else that counters the bushwhacka is why not make a sniper limit?
Ruhlar wrote: Excuse me, you motherfuckers
Ruhlar wrote: Locking my posts, the fuck you think you are? B1
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

I think the opposite is also true, however, and that if it works on one server, it can't hurt to try it on another, despite the differences. It seems kind of clear that people haven't even attempted to work around the nerf through something like taunting for crits, which is shown by the fact that people think a Sniper can't do fantastic damage with the bushwhacka, and that you either pick between mobility or damage. All this change does is force the snipers to make their shots count while they have taunt crits, or do less damage which is perfectly reasonable to me. Especially when you consider the fact that in it's previous state, the bushwhacka is a straight upgrade from the normal melee, offering no real downsides outside of the self inflicted damage that you take when climbing a wall. Which is negated entirely by the cozy camper, which is also picked quite often.
Last edited by Idjit on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
Zethy
Veteran

Post by Zethy »

Idjit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 am I think the opposite is also true, however, and that if it works on one server, it can't hurt to try it on another, despite the differences. It seems kind of clear that people haven't even attempted to work around the nerf through something like taunting for crits, which is shown by the fact that people think a Sniper can't do fantastic damage with the bushwaka, and that you either pick between mobility or damage. All this change does is force the snipers to make their shots count while they have taunt crits, or do less damage which is perfectly reasonable to me.

Sniper was and is still able to do damage without the Bushwacka, but with the inclusion of the grappling hook or dash on the bosses it make the Sniper a more vulnerable class (Something that isn't present on VSH); Sniper wasn't as dangerous as it is today but after the Bushwacka got the jump ability, Snipers became a top priority for some people and it still is even that there is a nerf now. All clases have some sort of way to escape the boss, so it should be fair that the Sniper keeps this ability around but with a nerf applied to the weapon itself, not the primary, it's like Soldier having a blast radius nerf for having the B.Backup.

I've been thinking about this after the nerf was applied, making the bushwacka have a higher HP cost or a HP penalty, like lowering max HP or lowering HP income, but a class limit of 4-6 also seems reasonable.
Last edited by Zethy on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

You do know, Zethy, that I was talking about taunting with crits with the busahwaka equipped, right? It allows snipers to do even more damage than they could without it equipped, just with more of a break between.
Last edited by Idjit on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Varple
Veteran

Post by Varple »

In other servers, the bushwhacka does only -10 damage to people and they can swing consistently. Our servers we take -25 damage and can't swing it as much. I think the limit would better suffice with a limit of 6 instead of nearing the weapon even more.
Ruhlar wrote: Excuse me, you motherfuckers
Ruhlar wrote: Locking my posts, the fuck you think you are? B1
Zethy
Veteran

Post by Zethy »

Idjit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:57 am You do know, Zethy, that I was talking about taunting with crits with the busahwaka equipped, right?

Taunting for crits takes a lot of time and leaves you exposed.
Last edited by Zethy on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Valyrihme

Post by Valyrihme »

I agree with Zethy on the taunting for crits. Taunting for crits as sniper is too much of a hassle, as not everyone is good enough to hit shots consistently. You're vulnerable and spend too much time taunting and having a chance to miss, completely wasting your time.